1) I promise to myself to finish the writing projects I have started and to take up one more. (I don’t know which one, and I have 3 in mind.)
2) I promise to send one manuscript out each week. (I actually have many picture book and children’s books to send out.) This is harder than you might think. You see, most of the time, when I send out a manuscript, I get no reply or a quick one. (I think I’ll have to pass on this one. Thanks for letting me read it.) When I put my baby out for others to see it is perfect in my eyes. I would be willing to edit or rewrite if I just knew what they didn’t like in most cases. One of my manuscripts is in rhyme and that is not something most editors like these days. Kids love rhyme, but editors see far too many poorly rhymed pieces. That makes my story of a little boy trying to find something cool to do on a sunny summer day unsalable to some. However, I have the pictures firmly in mind, but alas I am not an artist.
3) I promise to learn how to illustrate my own books. That’s harder than it looks too. First of all I have to learn to draw with some accuracy the things I see with my brain. Secondly, I have to learn to make whimsical consistent drawings. That is, the same style for the entire book. I’m working on that very slowly.
4) I promise to mention my currently published books, Crossing the Raging River and Don’t Kill the Opera more often in print. (If you haven’t read them, you might like them. They’re available on Amazon.)
5) I promise to spend time with the Bible every day before starting this work. Now that may not seem important, but it is. You see, it is like getting my marching orders daily. If I do this on my own, I won’t do as great of a job as with inspiration. In fact, these resolutions were inspired by my reading this morning. John the Baptist told the people of Israel to repent, that means change their ways. I am announcing how I am changing my ways right here with my New Year’s Resolutions.
That’s it. I’m going to try to change my ways, and I can’t do it alone. Help me remember. Bug me if you don’t see anything here on my blog each week. I need you to be my prompters. Thanks.